A diamond wire saw is a diamond-embedded strong cutting saw that is shaped like a wire designed for concrete cutting and other tough surfaces like concrete and much more.
It works similar to a band saw or reciprocating saws but instead of using teeth, it uses diamond abrasion. It is often cooled with water or oil.
It can have a single strand or multiple strands depending on the cutting requirements. It is a versatile concrete saw that is becoming more and more popular today.
It has become a favourable alternative to the old big diameter diamond blades for construction and various other industries.
A diamond wire saw is used for cutting the following:
- Limestones and other stones
- Fragile Crystals
- Metal Parts
Advantages Of Using A Wire Saw
- High Precision – Because it is flexible and versatile, it can cut through concrete with high precision.
- Reduced Damage – Because it uses a slow and gentle sawing process, damage to the concrete is minimal. The gentle, low-force cutting lowers the stress in both the saw and the material. The material savings by using a diamond wire saw means less removal of waste, can cut thinner pieces, improves yields, and lowers the costs. It also means less chipping, cleaner corners and more improved cutting quality.
- No Depth Restrictions – Because it is built like a wire, it can easily be manipulated and can cut through any depths with ease.
- Reduced Labour Intensity – The process is slow and gentle as stated above. This means the technician operating it does not need to exert a lot of force, energy and effort. One only needs to guide the saw to the designated areas to be cut.
- Safe and Reliable Operation
- Strong Power
- Improved Cutting Ability
- Higher Labour Productivity
Like other types of concrete saws, diamond blades are highly recommended and are popular in the construction field. Here’s why:
- Extreme wear and tear resistance
- Longer lifespan
- High-quality cutting performance for cutting concrete
- Less heating during operation
- Less likely to burn or break the surface being cut
- Smoother cuts and clean lines
- Higher saw blade velocity
- Less noise and fewer vibrations
- Less dust pollution
- More cost-effective due to its high resistance to wear and tear
Diamond wire saws may be more effective than other concrete saws but they still pose a real danger to its users and the people around the area of operations.
Diamond wire saw operators and technicians still need to follow strict safety protocols, safety requirements and the use of Personal Protection Equipment or PPE.
Here are some safety tips you can follow when using a diamond wire saw:
1). Educate your self in proper use and operations.
2). Follow manufacturer’s instructions for safe use.
3). Do not use or operate without supervision or assistance.
4). Check the machines are working properly before cutting.
5). Do not begin work without wearing safety gear or personal protection equipment. Here are the required PPE according to the Code of Practice for Concrete and Masonry Cutting and Drilling under the Commission for Occupational Safety and Health:
- Safety helmet
- Safety footwear, preferably steel-toed boots
- Safety goggles
- Face shield
- Hearing protection
- Gloves to improve grip, reduce force and vibrations
- Respiratory protection
6). Do not wear pieces of jewellery and loose-fitting clothes.
Concrete cutting is complicated and dangerous. It is better to hire professionals who know their way around a diamond wire saw and its applications.
Doing the cutting yourself can cause damage to the concrete costing you more than it should. You are also putting yourself at risk of losing a finger and other accidents.
MEGA SAW is the leader in concrete cutting and drilling in Melbourne for over 40 years now.
If you are looking for a specialist concrete cutting company who uses only the best practices to get the job done right, then please call us at Megasaw on 1300 920 419 or contact us through our website.